Tuesday, November 5, 2013

5 - Drug Induced Sympathy, or: Just Because You’re Trippin Doesn’t Mean it Isn’t Real

Jonah lay in the back seat of his car with an almost empty pack of cigarettes. Felicity was in the front seat prompting him to continue feeding her cigarettes.
“I only have one left.”
“I’ll buy you another pack.”
“You’re only seventeen.”
“That never stopped a girl.”
“What do you think of October?”
“How much did you smoke, what?”
“Is she weird?”
So weird.” She drew on the cigarette before handing it back, “why do you bring it up?”
“No thanks, I’ve had enough.”
“What about October.”
“She hangs out in the cemetery, right? It’s weird.”
“So do you bro.”
“Not by choice.”
“What do you want me to say?”
“Why is she so weird?”
“She used to hallucinate as a kid, right? Saw things where there weren’t any, maybe she still does.” Felicity dragged a finger along the decaying roof. “You wanna hit that?”
“No.” Jonah sighed. “I’d tell you anyway.”
“Is she bothering you?” Felicity leaned into the back seat, cigarette dangling in her fingers.
“I seem to be bothering her without trying.” Jonah frowned at her.
“Maybe she’d like to hit you.” Felicity smiled, “I mean, you know what I mean. But how awkward would that be! Although, maybe you can spare her some pity when you’re done wallowing for yourself.”
“Don’t you have somewhere to be?” Jonah kicked open the door.
“My bad!” Felicity sat up with a groan. “That tranny-B has me doing a makeup test this afternoon.” She reached for the door handle.
“Don’t you want to be sober for that?”
“Ugh, Mrs. White can eat me.” She clambered out. “Not literally. Or sexually.”
“Besides, I’m so freaking brilliant in Chemistry—”
“Doing drugs isn’t on the curriculum.”
“Screw you, MacDonall.” She stood on steady legs for a moment before waving goodbye.
“You sure you don’t want a ride?”
“Nah, thanks. You have class.” She leaned down and ruffled his hair, “See ya, Jonah.”
“Good luck with Mrs. White.” She climbed up the dirt path to the parking lot and disappeared behind a tree.

“What am I going to do?” He asked himself and lit another cigarette.

“Smoking is going to kill you, you know.” Alexis met Clara at the back of the cafeteria and leaned against the wall.
“Hello to you, too, sunshine.” Clara gave her a look. “I just thought you might want to know the latest rumor about you.”
“What?” She stood up straight. “About me?”
“Yep, apparently someone has got a little crush.”
“But it’s harmless right?”
“Yeah, Jay is mostly harmless.”
“Oh. Jay.” Alexis let out a slow breath.
“Yeah. He’s a nice kid, but if you turn him down, he’ll be fine. It’s happened before.”
“Oh.” Alexis watched Clara stubb her cigarette against the brick wall and drop the butt in the grass. “You could throw that in the trash, you know—”
“It’s bad enough that I smell like an ashtray, I don’t need the aides hand-picking reasons to call my parents.” She brushed past Alexis, “I’ll see you later, okay?”
“At Abigails?”
“Yes at Abigails!” She grinned. “See you.”

Alexis left the school building just after ninth period, bag slung over her shoulder, watching as George and Abigail walked down the hill hand in hand.
“Alexis!”
She spun to the source of the voice and nearly tripping over her own feet.
“Whoa! Careful there.” Her caller caught her by the forearm and slipped a hand around her waist while she settled back on two feet.
“Thanks.” Alexis descended to the pavement and crossed to the sidewalk on the otherside.
“Uh, Alexis, do you have a minute?” The girl followed and caught up.
“Sure, I’m sorry, I don’t remember your name.”
“Blair.” She readjusted the strap on her shoulder, “From the Italian elective.”
“Really?” Alexis squinted at the girl.
“Uh, it’s a big class.” She offered. “Listen, I’m in the Journalism elective and I was wondering if—”
“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m already fully packed with my schedule—” Alexis began moving down the hill again, George and his girlfriend were rapidly disappearing around the curve of the hill.
“Alexis, would you let me interview you for the school newsletter?”
“Huh? What?” She stopped and turned to look back at Blair. “Are you being serious?”
“Yes.” She pulled her phone out, “can we exchange info or friend each other on facebook?”
“I don’t have a facebook.” Alexis tucked the hair behind her ear, “but do you text? I’m sure I have my old aim password if that works.”
Blair was laughing, “oh my god, no, texting is fine. Can I put my number in your phone, then I’ll text myself.” She took the proffered blackberry and did so. She gave it back and gave Alexis a half smile, “See you around.”
Alexis turned as Blair passed and caught herself unsure of how to say goodbye to her possibly new friend, “Ciao!”
Blair only gave a sympathetic smile over her shoulder.
“Oh god, what was that?” Alexis asked herself, her phone beeped.
“Ciao bella!” read the text, and for a second, she thought Blair had already replied, but it was Lana, and the phone was ringing a second later.
“What I miss?”
“It’s weird how I’m able to make friends more easily here than I was in Manhattan.”
“That’s just because they don’t yet know you like I do.”
She paused and frowned, “Thanks.”

Jonah walks the paved cemetery road in the dark, his cell-phone casting light on his feet. He’s looking forward to some distraction when he gets the gatehouse, he was given an advance by some drug dealer in his class, and wonders if the mushrooms are any good, or if he’ll barely get an effect.
The cemetery is empty, of ghosts or girls who hallucinate.
He lays in the back seat of his car and lets himself be swept away. He’s been laying there for what feels like hours when the urge to walk the cemetery again strikes. He fumbles for a cigarette, but gives up when he almost burns his fingers. He isn’t tripping anymore, but there’s residue, like sleep sticking to the top of his mouth, and he isn’t sure if his cellphone light is causing shadows to rear up or if those are hallucinations looming up. When he almost trips over October’s prone body, he cannot account how he knew she was really there. She’s wearing a down coat, but it’s too cold to sleeping outside, on the ground or on a slab of stone.
“Get up.” He nudges her with his foot and rubs the rest of the sand from his eyes. It falls to the ground beside her. “What are you doing here?”
“I had to get away.”
“Don’t your parents wonder where you are?”
“What about yours?” She asks.
“You know the answer to that.” He steps back and drops his cellphone. Like a marvel of modern technology, it springs into three pieces to absorb the shock, base, battery and cover. She’s already on the ground so she picks them up and hands them back to him.
“Shoot, it’s already past 3 in the morning.” She stands and doesn’t speak to him, “I have to go Mrs. Johnson.”
“Mrs. Johnson’s been dead for thirteen years,” he feels the need to clarify.
“Don’t you see her?” She whispers to him.
“You trippin?” He asks, but he’s sober now.
She leaves and crosses the grass to the forest’s edge.
“Good night to you to.”
He goes to his car and falls asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment