Saturday, November 2, 2013

Last names and first words.

I've been a bit wary of branding people with last names right away, because this is a small town, and there are some families that stretch across the generations and are related. I don't know why that's relevant at the moment, but I've started the next scene (after Alexis's last text) and have just met Tad Tobias and Father Quigg. Tad is Alexis's dad, and I have an idea for our Catholic priest, but I'm not sure about it yet. I'm not Catholic myself, so I'll have to tread carefully, but I like Father Quigg. I hope you'll like him too.

You'll notice that October's last name hasn't been revealed nor our dark-skinned Esther's. Mostly because I'm riffing as much as I can. Behind the Name has always been a huge resource for me, but I'm not very pleased with the lacking resources of Behind the Surname. It's good for finding out what your name means, but not good for finding popular or common last names. I'm also trying really hard not to use names of people I know since quite a bit of geography is based on a town I know very well. I'm sure I've met an Alexis at some point, but I don't know two.

I'm also hoping you'll feel comfortable enough to make suggestions and throw out ideas and speculation. I may include some kind comments in the story in the future. I have no plans as of yet, and will try to keep it fast and loose. Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment